Internship and placement

Spain-flag-140Work experience

International students can undertake student work placements in Spain, in addition to studying and conducting research at Spanish universities.

They will need to apply for the relevant permit from the Ministry of Employment and Social Security and the specific conditions and documentation required will vary, according to the applicant’s country of residence and the duration of the placement.

The Foundation for the International Promotion of Spanish Universities manages and contributes to a range of international scholarship and collaboration programmes on behalf of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport.

For further information:

 List of Spanish universities:

Internship and placement advice

There are several practical issues related to internship and placement you should need to know. It’s very important you are aware about the formalities necessary before leaving such as Visa rules, social security, arrangements.

Social security and European health insurance

Citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland are entitled to access free medical and hospital care in Spain, on presentation of a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Students coming from outside of the European Union will need to check whether there is a reciprocal healthcare agreement between their country and Spain and apply for the relevant documentation, in order to access free or subsidised health services.  However, it is recommended that you take out private insurance to cover any costs that may not be covered by the public healthcare system and any deficiencies in your entitlement.


Spain is generally a safe country, although there are greater risks in large towns and it is always best to exercise a degree of caution and pay attention to local advice.

Do I need a visa?

EU citizens don’t need a visa to enter Spain, but will need to apply for a NIE (Numero de Identificación de Extranjeros, Foreign National Identity Number) in order to open a bank account and access other services that may be required for a longer stay in the country.

Foreign students coming to Spain from outside of the European Union for a period greater than 90 days must apply for a study visa.

Researchers or lecturers who enter the country with a residence visa can work without obtaining a work permit, but they must start the procedures to obtain a resident’s card within 30 days of their arrival in Spain.

Internship and placement salary

Usually placements and internships are unpaid, although students can obtain academic credits.

However, there are some private organisations that offer information and assistance to find paid work placement opportunities to students and researchers during their stay in Spain.

For further information on paid work and internship, please visit:

Internship and placement accommodation

There are different types of student residences, with some accommodation being provided directly by the educational institutions. Colegios mayores are residences that are usually situated close to the universities and provide cultural, social and religious services to students in support of their education.

Some universities also provide accommodation through a system of local families hosting students in their own homes, which can be particularly interesting for foreign students looking to gain a more personal appreciation of Spanish culture.

A common practice among Spanish students is to share a rented flat and rents vary widely depending on the city and on the number of flatmates.

Lists of residences:

Do you want to learn more about business culture in Spain?