Internships & placements

Slovakia flagWork experience

A placement involves the placement of a student in a temporary work or research environment to enable them to gain extremely valuable experience that will benefit them in the long term.

There are many types of placement, including work placements, school placements and student exchanges. Some companies have placement departments to help integrate new hires into the company. They may also help with paperwork, especially if the candidate is from a different country. Placements are sourced by outside agencies, as well as university departments, and most opportunities are advertised through the internet or university career centres. In fact, most universities have career centres that will support and assist students with placement applications, as well as assistance in finding work that compliments their studies or a permanent position following their graduation.

Placements are not common in Slovak companies, even though some companies are trying to implement the system as part of their strategy to bring in newly qualified employees. Most placement opportunities are found with educational institutions looking for research assistants or young foreigners who are targeted to fulfil European Union funding requirements. Some companies are now trying to attract students through attendance at university open days, which give employers access to potential future employees and allow students to explore options that are open to them.

As part of policy targeting unemployed students and general unemployment, the government has also instituted a subsidy scheme to assist companies who are able to take on and re-train new workers.

For further information, please see below:

Internship and placement advice

The practical needs of a local student will be far less than a foreign student, and placement negotiation would usually be limited to salary and duration. As a foreign student, issues including accommodation, work permit (if needed), insurance, healthcare, taxes, banking and so on, will need to be investigated prior to the submission of a placement application.

Social security and European health insurance card

The healthcare system in the Slovak Republic has been undergoing reform since 2006 and there are still issues with gaps in coverage provided by government funded healthcare services. The public healthcare that is available is quite good, but there are a growing number of private hospitals and clinics. In the event of an accident or for emergency medical assistance, the international number for the emergency services is 112. For local assistance in the Slovak language, dial 155 for the ambulance service. If the ailment is something less serious like a migraine or headache, going to a ‘Lekaren’, which is the Slovak name for a chemist or local pharmacy, is the best solution.

Although some services will be provided free of charge through the national healthcare system on production of a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), hospitalization and various other services will be payable, either in cash or through private insurance.


  • Emergency telephone numbers are: 155 for the ambulance service and 158 for the police, with communication in Slovak; and 112 for international access to all the emergency services.
  • The electric voltage in the country is 220 V; 50 Hz.
  • Tap water is safe to drink.
  • The speed limits are 50 km/h within inhabited areas; 90 km/h outside inhabited areas, 110km/h for motorway and 130 km/h on highways.

Do l need a visa?

Citizens of European Union are allowed to travel between EU member states and the Slovak Republic without a visa. Residents of the United States are allowed to visit the Slovak Republic for a maximum of 90 days without requiring a visa, unless they intend to work or study. Most visitors from the rest of the world will need to apply for a visa, except where there is an agreement in place between the two countries.

Temporary residence permits are available to those who wish to remain in the Slovak Republic longer than 90 days and who are able to meet certain criteria required by the government.

Internship and placement salary

A salary should be agreed before the start of the placement and that agreement is between the student and the company. Some countries have a minimum hourly rate salary that is applicable to most or all employment situations. You should also consult with the company about your tax situation and whose responsibility it will be to pay income tax, national insurance contributions and health insurance.

Internship and placement accommodation

Most local universities have dormitories or halls of residence available to both local and foreign students. This accommodation is generally cheaper than renting a private flat. Some companies might also provide accommodation for their employees, as a form of company benefit or compensation for low wages.

Do you want to learn more about Slovakia?