Internship & placement

Croatia-flag-140Work experience

A placement involves the placement of a student in a temporary work or research environment to enable them to gain extremely valuable experience that will benefit them in the long term.

There are many types of placement, work placements, school placements and student exchanges. Some companies have placement departments to help integrate new hires into the company. They may also help with paperwork, especially if the candidate is from a different country. Placements are sourced by outside agencies as well as university departments, and most opportunities are advertised through the internet or university career centres. In fact, most universities have career centres that will support and assist students with placement applications, as well as assistance in finding work that compliments their studies or a permanent position following their graduation.

Placements are not common in Croatian companies, even though some companies are trying to implement the system as part of their strategy to bring in new qualified employees. Most placement opportunities are found with educational institutions looking for research assistants or young foreigners who are targeted to fulfil European Union funding requirements. Some companies are now trying to attract students through attendance at university open days, which give employers access to potential future employees and allow students to explore options that are open to them.

As part of policy targeting unemployed students and general unemployment, the government has also instituted a subsidy scheme to assist companies who are able to take on and re-train new workers.

For further information, please see below:

Internship and placement advice

The practical needs of a local student will be far less than a foreign student, and placement negotiation would usually be limited to salary and duration. As a foreign student, issues including accommodation, work permit (if needed), insurance and health care, taxes, banking and so on, will need to be investigated prior to the submission of a placement application.

Social security and European health insurance card

The level of care you are entitled to will depend on where you come from and whether Croatia has a reciprocal agreement in place with your country. If you have compulsory health insurance coverage from abroad during your stay in the Republic of Croatia, you are entitled to emergency medical care. Croatia’s healthcare system is a mixture of public and private services and is in the process of undergoing reform, so it is important to research your entitlement and purchase additional insurance, if required. Slovenian, Czech, Hungarian and German citizens may use health care services upon presentation of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and submission of a photocopy of the card or certificate and maintain a temporary medical record with the doctor or institution where they receive health care services for the first time.

If you do not have entitlement to healthcare services, you will need to cover the full cost of any treatment or services and should be aware that prices are not regulated and may not be the same as prices applied to persons insured in Croatia.


Croatia is a safe country, however no country is 100% safe so be careful where you go and when you go there. Be aware of pick-pockets in crowded places like public transport and popular tourist places. If something should happen below are contact numbers and general information to take note of:

  • The universal emergency telephone number is 112 and you can reach all the relevant emergency response units including the Ambulance service, (193) Fire service, and the Police
  • The electricity voltage is 220 V; 50 Hz
  • Tap water is safe to drink
  • The speed limits are 50 km/h within inhabited areas; 90 km/h outside inhabited areas, 110km/h for motorway and 130 km/h on highways

Do I need a visa?

Because Croatia is at an advanced stage of joining the European Union, its citizens are allowed to travel into EU member states without first obtaining a visa, with a reciprocal agreement for EU citizens going to Croatia. Residents of the United States are allowed to visit Croatia for a maximum of 90 days without requiring a visa, unless they intend to work or study. Most visitors from the rest of the world will need to apply for a visa, except where there is an agreement in place between the two countries.

Temporary residence permits are available to those who wish to remain in Croatia longer than 90 days and who are able to meet certain criteria required by the government. These permits are typically issued on an annual basis and can be converted into a permanent permit, after a certain number of years.

Internship and placement salary

A salary should be agreed before the start of the placement and that agreement is between you and the company. Some countries have a minimum hourly rate salary that is applicable to most or all employment situation. You should also consult with the company about your tax situation, if the company will pay income tax or social security tax including health and social benefits.

Internship and placement accommodation

Most local universities have dormitories or hostels available to both local and foreign students. This accommodation is generally cheaper than renting a private flat. Some companies might also have cheaper accommodation for their employees as some sort of company benefits to compensate for less salary.

Do you want to learn more about business culture in Croatia?