Internship and placement

Italy-flag-140Work experience

Universities are the main sources of placements in Italy. A survey on the job placement services conducted in 2009 by Fondazione Crui (the Association of Rectors of Public and Private Italian Universities) offered an overview on the activities and the results of universities in Italy.

Some Italian students take part time employment in order to support themselves while studying. European students who want to have a placement experience can work in Italy without a work permit. Non- EU students do need a work permit in order to work in Italy but this is not easy to obtain.

The employer must produce a letter of employment to the Italian Police Station “Questura”.  In Italy, the bureaucratic process takes a very long time and a work permit may not be granted at the end. English is not always widely spoken in Italy, especially amongst the older generations. Knowledge of Italian will make it much easier for foreign students to meet people and experience the culture.

Internship and Placement advice

There are many practical issues students and companies, who would have a placement experience should know: information on arrangements, safety, social security, visa and other formalities.

Social security and European health insurance card

European citizens who plan to travel and to stay temporarily in another EU country will need the European Health Insurance Card. Non-EU citizens need  private health insurance and a consular declaration of its validity for Italy. If you don’t have insurance cover, access to all medical treatment is very expensive. [Italian, English, Spanish, and French]


The main personal safety tips are the same in Italy as in  other countries: there are greater risks in large cities but it is necessary to be careful everywhere.

When using public transport (buses, trains and metro), you should make sure that your personal belongings are secure as there is a risk of pickpocketing. When you are in pubs, cinemas, fast food, restaurants you shouldn’t leave bags or jackets unattended.

Do I need a visa?

If you come from the United States, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries included in the Schengen area you will not need a tourist visa  if you are planning to travel to Italy for less than three months in a period of six-months.

Internship and placement salary

As with most internships, the vast majority of placements are unpaid. Participants can receive academic credits from their university and the placement forms part of their college degree.

In order to find a paid job during their internship, students can search on line both for information and for a  list of companies and locations.

More info on:,5_IM1058_KO6,12.htm

Internship and placement accommodation

Universities usually have officers who manage university accommodation, and who offer information on renting student apartments. These are usually cheaper than the cost of accommodation in the private sector. You could also consider renting a room in a private apartment and sharing the costs of the whole apartment with other students.

Do you want to learn more about business culture in Italy?