Internship and placement

Spain-Work-InternshipWork experience

Internship and work in Spain is a serious subject that follows certain rules. Students can apply for placements in Spain, while to studying at universities.

They will need to apply for a permit, however the conditions required will vary according to the applicant’s country of residence and the duration of the work.

Spanish universities contributes to a range of scholarship and programmes.

For further information:

 List of Spanish universities:

Internship and work advice

There are lots of practical issues related to internship and work in Spain. It’s important to be aware about the formalities necessary before leaving such as Visa rules, social security, arrangements.

Social security and European health insurance

Citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland are entitled to access free medical and hospital care in Spain. They must present a valid European Health Insurance Card. Students coming from outside of the European Union will need to check whether there is a reciprocal healthcare agreement between their country and Spain and apply for the relevant documentation. Then they will access to health services.  However, it is recommended that you take out private insurance to cover any costs that may not be covered by the public healthcare system and any deficiencies in your entitlement.


Spain is a safe country, but there are greater risks in large towns. It is often best to exercise a degree of caution and pay attention to local advice.

Do I need a visa?

EU citizens don’t need a visa to enter Spain indeed you will need to apply for a Foreign National Identity Number in order to open a bank account and access other services. That may be required for a longer stay in the country.

Students coming to Spain from outside of the EU for a period greater than 90 days must apply for a study visa.

Lecturers who enter the country with a residence visa can work without obtaining a work permit. They must start the procedures to obtain a resident’s card within 30 days of their arrival in Spain.

Internship and work salary

Usually jobs and internships are unpaid, still students can obtain academic credits.

Private organisations offer informations and assistance to find paid work placement opportunities to students and researchers.

For further information :

Internship and work housing

Educational institutions provides different types of residences, indeed there are residences situated close to the universities and that provide cultural, social and religious services to students.

Some universities also provide housing through a system of families hosting students in their homes. This is interesting for foreign students while looking to gain a more personal appreciation of Spanish culture.

Rent a flat is a common practice for Spanish students, however rents depend on the city and the number of flatmates.

Lists of residences:

Do you want to learn more about business culture in Spain?