Internship and placement

Austrain business culture guideWork experience

In Austria there are two legal forms of internship. You can either work as an employee or as a volunteer.  For pupils or students who want to become an employee, the normal labour and social legislation applies. As a volunteer these laws do not apply.

The regulations that apply to citizens from the “old” EU-Member States (those who became members before 01.04.2004) are the same as those for all Austrians. For all others, the regulations in the “Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetzes” (AuslBG) apply.

Knowledge of the German language is important as not everyone speaks English. The opportunities for working in Austria are largely within the tourism industry, i.e. hotel services and sporting activities like skiing and gastronomy.

On the following websites you can find offers of student internships in Austria:

Tips and regulations for students who want to do an internship in Austria can be found here:

Internship and Placement advice

There are many practical issues related to international placements that need to be taken care of either by the trainee or the host company. It is important to reserve enough time for all the arrangements and the necessary formalities. The training organisations, educational institutes and home and host organisations are able to help with these.

Social security and European health insurance

Depending on the placement you do, the amount of money you earn and your nationality (EU/non-EU), health insurance may or may not be included. As a foreign student, the relevant insurances you could obtain are related to health, accident and travel.


Austria has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe and is one of the safest countries in the world. However, tourists can become targets of pick-pockets when gathering together in a group. Commonly known areas for pick-pockets are Vienna’s two largest train stations, the plaza around St. Stephen’s Cathedral, and the nearby pedestrian shopping areas.

Do I need a visa?

Austria is a member of the Schengen Agreement.

Nationals of the EU, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are treated like Austrians and therefore do not require work or residence permits. However, you must register your stay with the local authorities within three days of your arrival.

Non-EU-members need a work permit, a procedure which can be problematic and slow.

More information can be found here:

Internship and placement salary

Whether a placement is paid or unpaid in Austria will depend on the type of placement you are looking at. If the placement is paid you might get around 500€ a month. However, more positions are available for unpaid placements.

Internship and placement accommodation

If you do your placement within the hotel and restaurant industry it is likely that you will get free accommodation and food. Otherwise, you will need to find your own place to stay during your placement. In the capital a lot of flat share places can be found.

Do you want to learn more about business culture in Austria?