Internships & placements

Poland FlagWork experience

A placement involves the placement of a student in a temporary work or research environment to enable them to gain extremely valuable experience that will benefit them in the long term.

There are many types of placement, work placements, school placements and student exchanges. Some companies have placement departments to help integrate new hires into the company. They may also help with paperwork, especially if the candidate is from a different country. Placements are sourced by outside agencies as well as university departments, and most opportunities are advertised through the internet or university career centres. In fact, most universities have career centres that will support and assist students with placement applications, as well as assistance in finding work that compliments their studies or a permanent position following their graduation.

Placements are a new thing to most Polish companies, which they are trying to include as part of their strategy to bring in new qualified employees. Many companies now try to attract students through attendance at university open days across the country. These open days are useful to both companies and students because it gives them the opportunity to discuss the possibilities of working together and what each can expect from the other.

Internship and placement advice

The practical needs of a local student will be far less than a foreign student, and placement negotiation would usually be limited to salary and duration. As a foreign student, issues including accommodation, work permit (if needed), insurance and health care, taxes, banking and so on, will need to be investigated prior to the submission of a placement application.

Social security and European health insurance card

The healthcare system in Poland is a state institution even though private hospitals are regularly springing up. Every European Union resident in Poland on a short stay is entitled to the following health care service under the EEA rules:

  • Primary health care
  • Specialist out-patient care
  • Hospital treatment
  • Dental treatment
  • Rescue services and ambulance transport

You need to have a filled E 111 form issued in their country and European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Holder of one of these documents will receive free health services at health care providers who have a relevant contract with NFZ (State insurance company). In case you don’t have these documents you will be required to cover the cost of your treatment by yourself. The same obligation arises in case of treatment provided by a health care unit which has no contract with NFZ.

Social security payment should be paid by the company you are working for.


  • Poland has several emergency telephone numbers: 999 for the ambulance service (communication in Polish only) and 112 (foreign language service), 997 for the Police, 998 for the fire brigade If you are using a mobile phone, you will need to dial the local area code first, 22 for Warsaw and 12 for Cracow.
  • The electricity voltage is 220 V; 50 Hz.
  • Tap water is safe to drink
  • The speed limits are 50 km/h within inhabited areas; 90 km/h outside inhabited areas, 110km/h for motorway and 130 km/h on highways.

Do I need a visa?

European Union residents are entitled to enter and leave Poland with no visa requirement. Residents of the United States are allowed to visit Poland for a maximum of 90 days without requiring a visa, unless they intend to work or study. Most visitors from the rest of the world will need to apply for a visa, except where there is an agreement in place between the two countries.

Temporary residence permits are available to those who wish to remain in Poland longer than 90 days and who are able to meet certain criteria required by the government.

Internship and placement salary

A salary should be agreed before the start of the placement and that agreement is between you and the company. Some countries have a minimum hourly rate salary that is applicable to most or all employment situation. You should also consult with the company about your tax situation, if the company will pay income tax or social security tax including health and benefits.

Internship and placement accommodation

Most local universities have dormitories or hostels available to both local and foreign students. This accommodation is generally cheaper than renting a private flat. Some companies might also have cheaper accommodation for their employees as some sort of company benefits to compensate for less salary.

Do you want to learn more about Poland?: