Need student visa for Spain? Learn how to get it!

If you are a non-EU citizen, by coming to do your studies in Spain you will need to be in possession of what is called a « Schengen visa ». This should cover the length of your stay. What is it exactly and how can you get a student visa for Spain?

Shengen visa

It is the common visa valid for all the EU countries. Still, you need to apply for the specific country where you will be staying. Therefore, by studying in Spain you will need to apply through the Spanish Embassy portal of your country.

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Check under which conditions you need a student Schengen visa.
2. Figure out where you need to apply.
3. Figure out the best time to submit your visa application.
4. Collect the required documents.
5. Check out the steps/deadlines for the application process.

Student Visa for Spain


Every student who is not from the EU will need to apply for a visa in order to study there.
Usually a Student Schengen Visa is about 3 months. If your studies last longer than 3 months, you should apply for a long-stay study visa at the embassy of the respective country.


To get a student visa for Spain you will need to apply through the Spanish embassy of your country.

Here are the different steps of the procedure:

  • Book an appointment
  • Download the application form and fill it in
  • Gather the required documents (you will find more details about all documents needed in the section “Which are the required documents for the Visa application?”)
  • Attend the visa interview 

Here is a sample of questions that may be asked during your interview:

  • Why have you applied for this particular course?
  • Why this particular college/ university?
  • Why this particular country?
  • Which countries in the Schengen area are you planning to visit?
  • Do you have any family member or friends living in Europe?
  • What is the purpose of your visit?
  • Who will pay for your visit?
  • Are you married? If yes, what does your spouse do? For how long have you been married?
  • Do you have any children? If yes, how old are they, what do they do?
  • How long are you going to stay in Europe?
  • Where are you going to stay?
  • What is your educational qualification?
  • Which company do you work for?

To see other potential student study visa questions that can be asked, have a look at this website


In order to apply for your student visa for Spain, you will need to submit required documents to the Spanish Embassy. Here are the common documents needed for most who do not come from the EU. But, bear in mind that some additional documents can be required depending of your country of origin. You can check it on the local embassy pages such as the one from Spanish Embassy in Miami.

  • Completed visa application form signed (2 copies)
  • A valid passport (must be valid for the intended period of your stay in Spain)
  • Two recent identity pictures (passport size, with a white background)
  • A valid health insurance (covering the all length of your stay in Spain)
  • A medical certificate
  • Proof of financial means to cover your expenses during your stay (could be scholarship details, a Spanish bank account showing sufficient funds or even a letter you’re your parents/guardians assuming full financial responsibility of you)
  • Proof of enrolment in a Spanish University / college
  • Visa application fee

There are a number of organisations which can also help you to get your visa as explained in this short video from Speak Easy Language school in Barcelona:


You can apply up to three months prior to your departure date. Generally speaking, the sooner the better. The delays for the embassy to process your request can be very long so make sure to apply plenty of time in advance.

Also bear in mind that the latest you can apply for your visa is 15 days before your departure date.


For a student visa, the legal processing time is maximum 15 calendar days. But, you could get an answer in shorter times. However, in extraordinary cases the period could be extended from 30 to 60 days. That is why we recommend you again to submit your application the sooner the better.

Visa Procedure

If you want to have more information about how to get your student visa for Spain, check the following websites: