Internship and work placement in Denmark

Are you ready to learn about Internship and work placement in Denmark?Internship and work placement in Denmark

Before moving in Denmark as an intern there are many practical issues related to international placements that need to be taken care of. So important to allow enough time for all the arrangements and the necessary formalities. Training organisations, educational institutes and home and host organisations will be able to help with the formalities. To make your Internship and work placement in Denmark experience complete.

What is Internship and Work placement in Denmark?

Every year, many students look for Internship opportunities in Denmark due to its prosperous economy and standard of living. There are majorly three categories of citizens: Nordic citizens, EU/EEA citizen and a foreigner each having different conditions.

  •   Nordic citizens are free to study, work and reside in Denmark.
  •   Citizens from other EU/EEA countries including Switzerland may in some cases be subject to special rules.
  •   A foreigner can work and reside in Denmark as an intern as soon as a permit has been granted.
Internships in Denmark are broadly classified into 4 categories:
  1. The Green Sector (agriculture, veterinary, forestry or horticultural)
  2. Health Sector
  3. Architecture Sector
  4. Others

Each category has certain set of rules to abide by in order to apply for internship in that category.

More information:

Social security and European health insurance card

When going to Denmark it is important to bear in mind that you are responsible for insuring yourself and your property. Your educational institution has no responsibility or liability and it is recommended that you have the following three insurances:

  • Accident insurance
  • Home insurance
  • Third-party liability insurance (for covering expenses in case you have to compensate another person)

In addition to these insurances, if you have a car, this must also be insured (compulsory insurance).

Danish healthcare system is extensive and offers access to all residents including foreign students. However physiotherapy and dental care are not accessible free of charge.

In the case of emergency, by dialing 112 you will be able to contact the ambulance, police and fire brigade. Be prepared to give the call centre your name, the phone number from which you are calling and your location.

Non – EU/EEA Students

Everybody in Denmark, including non-residents, is entitled to free emergency care. But, if non-urgent medical treatment is needed, this must be paid by your insurance or by you. Staying in Denmark for longer than 3 months? You will need to register with the Civil Registration System. But also get a residence permit which will then make you eligible for free medical treatment.

EU/EEA or Switzerland Students

Citizen of EU/EAA or Switzerland and you are going to stay in Denmark for no more than 3 months, you can access the same healthcare services as Danish nationals with your European Health Insurance Card, free of charge. In Denmark for longer than 3 months?  You are entitled to use the healthcare system just as a Dane would. To register with the Civil Registration System you need to have a valid EHIC card and or present a S1 Portable Document and an E106 form.

How about safety in Denmark?

Do not be afraid to contact the police and other authorities in Denmark, since not only are the crime and corruption rates low, but the whole Danish way of living has its foundation in tolerance and mutual trust.

A visa for Internship and work placement in Denmark?

Visas in Denmark, as in other Schengen countries, are issued for stays of less than 3 months. In case you are a resident of another Schengen country, you do not need to worry about visas when coming to Denmark. However, if you are in Denmark with a visa, you are not allowed to work during your stay.

Supposing you intend to stay in Denmark for longer than three months and you need to get a visa to enter Denmark : you are required to apply for a residence permit before you enter the country. It is not possible to apply for a visa and a residence permit at the same time.

In order to get a residence permit in Denmark as a non-EU/EEA citizen you will :
  • Must have been accepted as a student by a higher education progamme at an institute, college or university that has been approved by the Danish government.
  • Be able to prove that you are in Denmark either to attend a programme that you have begun in your home country or to complete an entire educational programme.
  • Prove that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself during your stay in Denmark.
  • If there are tuition fees you will need to have covered the expenses of the first semester of your studies.
  • Need to be able to communicate in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, German or English.

Whether or not you are a citizen of any EU/EAA country or Switzerland you do not need a residence permit at all. However, if staying for longer than three months, EU/EEA citizens need to get a registration certificate and Swiss citizens a residence card. These documents serve more as proof of your rights to reside in Denmark and are available from the Regional State Administration. And if you are working while staying in Denmark, you can stay for six months without the need to get registration certificates or cards.

Salary for Internship and placement in Denmark

The key information if you want to do an internship and work placement in Denmark is the salary. Most of the time interns working in Denmark are paid, but not always. In these cases you will need to have documentation to show that you have enough resources to cover your stay in Denmark. Accepted documentation can be documents for student grants or scholarships and bank statements. An intern should have 5662 DKK per month at his/her disposal so as not to run into difficulties.

Internship and placement in accommodation

It’s true that during the months of August and September it is recommended that you make sure to reserve a room before arriving to Denmark. Finding housing, especially in bigger cities, can be extremely difficult. You should contact your host institution in Denmark regarding housing options as they can offer much needed help. As a student you should be able to get by with housing expenses of around 2500-4000 DKK per month.

Do you want to learn more about Danish business culture?